Eggplant Turkey Lasagna
1 package 99% lean ground turkey breast meat
1 jar Prego or other brand of low sugar tomato sauce
2 medium/large eggplants
1 10oz or larger package of mushrooms
1 package of fresh basil
1 bunch of fresh parsley
1 large bowl of fresh spinach
1 – 1 ½ cups cottage cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees on convection roast setting
- Wash and trim eggplant; slice into pieces length-wise; spritz with olive oil misto (both the pan and eggplant)
- Roast eggplant until lightly browned on both sides, may need to flip about 15 minutes in
- Slice onion into long thin pieces and sautee on stovetop on low heat until carmelized.
- Remove onions from pan and cook ground turkey until cooked all the way through. Season turkey while cooking with pepper, onion powder/garlic powder.
- Chop basil and parsley.
- Take cooked vegetables out of oven and spray a class or stone baking dish with olive oil
- Layer eggplant, cottage cheese, tomato sauce, herbs, mushrooms, spinach and cooked ground turkey. Repeat layering until all vegetables are included.
*If in month two: option to top dish with non-dairy shredded cheese substitute.
This is so full of vegetables it's a great recipe makeover from traditional lasagna. Plus it's gluten free, and low carb - a perfect dinnertime meal. What's your favorite way to make lasagna? Any other good noodle substitutes? Let me know and if you think you know someone who might like this post, please share!