Gluten Free Crab Cakes!
This year on my birthday (34!!!) I decided I'd rather stay at home and cook dinner for myself and my husband instead of eating out. I love to cook for us and it's way more relaxing then getting all dressed up, especially when it's over 100 degrees outside! So I decided to do crab cakes for an appetizer. They turned out great and I had lots of leftovers.
- 1/2 of one 16 oz can of lump crab meat (NOT IMITATION)
- 1/2 16 oz can No Salt Added chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 of large red onion, diced
- 1 egg, whisked
- ~2 Tbsp brown rice flour
- 14/ cup chopped cilantro
- Lemon zest from one lemon
- Mix everything except chickpeas into large bowl.
- Use a potato smasher or fork to smash chickpeas and then add mixture to crab mixture
- Mix with a fork until evenly blended
- Line a muffin tin with silpat cupcake liners and fill each evenly with crab cake mixture
- Place in a preheated oven at 350 F
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until mixture is lightly toasted and hold its form
- Remove from heat and let cool
- Serve with large lettuce leaves and mustard dressing (I used honey dijon)
This made about 8 crab cakes and they were super light and lemony. The chickpeas helped to bind them and added more protein!
Have you ever made crab cakes at home? Let me know your favorite recipe or fun variations on dipping sauces!