Sunday nights are one of my favorite nights to either make pizzas or grill. With the days being so warm, grilling has been winning lately which means my husband gets to cook the main course! I mentioned these spinach tortillas from Trader Joe's in my last post and they were the perfect variation to our turkey burgers. I like them slightly toasted so they stay firm more like a flatbread would.
This one is pretty simple, and the ingredients just get stacked on the spinach!
- Spinach tortillas (2) cut into fourths each
- Thick slices of tomato (4)
- Fresh basil leaves
- 93% or leaner ground turkey (you could use lean grass-fed ground beef or a mix here too!)
- Avocado slices
- Red onion (1 large)
- Salt, pepper, garlic powder, dried parsley
- Preheat oven to 375 F on roast setting
- Peel red onion and slice into 1/4 inch thick slices; use olive oil mister to spritz and season with salt and pepper
- Spray cooking sheet with cooking spray or use a silpat liner for onions. Roast for about 10 minutes, check and flip until onions are caramelized
- In a large glass bowl, mix turkey, salt, pepper, garlic powder and dried parsley; mix well and form 4 patties
- While burgers are grilling, slice tomatoes and season; peel avocado and slice into wedges and prepare basil leaves.
- While oven is still hot, place spinach tortillas on a sheet in oven to toast for a few minutes
- Once turkey burgers are done, let rest for 10 minutes; Assemble spinach tortilla, tomato, avocado, basil leaf, onion and top with the other quarter or the tortilla
See if you can get this bite in your mouth! This was inspired by the Cheesecake Factory's California burger, which lists 740 calories on its nutrition menu and doesn't even disclose the amount of fat. This spinach tortilla version comes in under 350 calories! That doesn't mean you should have two, but it means there is room for a mojito on the patio and of course that side of broccoli!
Let me know your favorite Cheesecake dinner or lunch and we can do a recipe redux!