Chicken Tortilla Soup
This is one of the crockpot makeover recipes I did for the Des Moines Register's Q Health Magazine a few weeks ago. They wanted three different types of crockpot ideas that are still easy and fast but don't include heavy sauces or poor choices of ingredients. Chicken Tortilla soup is sometimes made with cream or half and half so this is a light, broth based recipe with not a lot of cheese! Instead use avocados to get that richness as well as healthy fat source!
- 11/2 pounds organic chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/4 cup cilantro (more for topping)
- 1 medium red onion
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1 15-ounce can no salt added black beans
- 4 cups MSG-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can diced no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper and other herbs, and begin cooking it in the slow cooker while gathering other ingredients. Slice peppers and onions, then add both. If you are at home, cook these ingredients for several hours before adding the broth. Cook for a total of six hours.
2. Shred the chicken with two forks. Add beans and corn just before serving to warm through. Top with additional cilantro and sliced avocado.
Try this recipe next time you are in need of a meal ready by the time you walk in the door from work. Do you think you know someone who might like this idea? Please share it with them, hey you can't have it all for yourself! Have a better combination or a twist on this recipe? Tell me below how you made it your own or if you got your kids to try something green (avocado anyone?!)