Deconstructed Ratatouille Pizzas
Great for a party when you need something to bring - these are a great appetizer or could be an entree with a big green salad and large enough eggplants. Every month I get together with a great group of ladies - Gaggle is our group name, and everyone brings something to share. This week I saw eggplant on sale at Hy-Vee for $1.28 each and they were HUGE so I thought I'd use the eggplant as the crust to increase the vegetable content. I also saw two other kinds of eggplant at Hy-Vee: White eggplant and a purple eggplant with white stripes - distressed?!
Anyhow I stuck with the traditional ones seeing that these beautiful alternatives were $4.99 each!
- 2 large eggplant - your choice of variety
- Olive oil mister
- Salt & Pepper
- Marinara sauce
- Dried oregano
- 1/2 8 oz container of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 - 1 cup sliced mini bell peppers
- Fresh cilantro
- Part-skim mozzarella cheese - finely shredded
- Slice eggplant into rounds, spritz each side with olive oil, season with salt, pepper and dried oregano, place on baking sheet coated with non-stick olive oil cooking spray.
- Place eggplant under broiler until lightly browned; flip and broil reverse side
- While eggplant is broiling, sauté sliced mushrooms and mini colored bell peppers (sliced) on stovetop.
- Once toasted, spread marinara sauce over each slice of eggplant.
- Top marinara with sauteed veggies.
- Top with shredded mozzarella and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Place back in oven under the broiler until cheese is melted and slightly browned.
- Let cool and depending on your dinner plans, cut into smaller wedges or serve whole rounds.
YUM! Do you use alternative crusts - gluten free, flatbreads, flat-thins, homemade dough?? Let me know!