Leap 101 - What you can do even BEFORE your results are in
There is no doubt a lot of excitement once you commit to the Leap program and it's elimination diet protocol. There may be a week or two after you take your test kit and before your results are in. So what to do in the meantime, eat everything you know you won't be able to later? Nope. Please do not do that :) This is a time period I like to call an "easing in" to your detoxification period. Even though you don't know your exact results, it's time to get your body ready to heal.
Here are my top tips to get started:
- Water: drink it up. Start drinking at least half your body weight in ounces of water per day. Aim for 80 - 100 ounces as a general rule.
- Eliminate processed foods: You will not be having any of these during your diet so let's get them out of the house. Clean out your cupboards, refrigerators, and freezers. Start eating whole foods. A whole food is something that is what it says it is. For example, a banana is a banana, a bag of spinach is spinach and a twinkie is a ____________? (I don't know the answer to this one)
- Start reading labels: There will be some things that come in a bag or a box that you will be able to use and have from your first Phase list. Here you are still looking for whole foods. You can get quinoa in a bag or box and that's it and that's all that's in there! Note: frozen fruits and vegetables and dried fruits may contain chemicals unless labeled USDA Organic. The FDA does not require sulfites to be labeled in conventionally packaged foods. This will make a difference.
- Look at your personal products, vitamins, supplements and any medications: Very sensitive patients may react to ingredients in toothpaste, mouthwash, make-up, and medications. If you see something with food dyes, those are usually easiest to find substitutes for. Any unnecessary medications will be avoided during your first few phases and then we will start to add in high quality supplements as needed. It is possible to have medications compounded by a pharmacist if necessary.
- I was reacting to blue dye in my fertility meds - thanks a lot - like I really needed more things going on in my stomach!
- Log your foods: Start to log your foods using either a Word document or the MyFitnessPal app. This is a free app and you can add me as a friend, my username is bullockjc. Once we are friends, go into your settings -> Account -> click on "Share your diary with friends." This will allow me to see your food diary at any time so I can see what might be influencing your results. There is a section for notes for you to document what new foods are added and to list any symptoms.
- Caffeine: if you are drinking soda, diet soda, or lots of coffee, start to wean yourself off slowly. If you are drinking soda in general you need to stop this ASAP. None will be allowed on the leap food plan. Coffee and some teas are allowed and may end up in your Phase 1 list - but they may not. I will not allow you to begin Phase 1 if you are reactive to caffeine and are still actively drinking it. We don't want to confuse your symptoms so it's best to be ok without this going into Phase 1.
Do these things and you will be ahead of the game on Day 1. Good luck and I'll be in touch soon with your results!