Roasted Butternut Ginger Squash...with a twist!
What do you do when you have a whole batch of plain cooked quinoa and it needs a little flava?? You mix it up of course!
The other day I was prepping some recipes for a cooking demo and I thought of this idea: put the squash into the grain!
It's sort of like soup, sort of like stew and totally like a yummy side dish!
Here's what I did!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 medium butternut squash
- 1 1/2" piece of ginger root, grated
- Himalayan sea salt (PINK!)
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- Prepare the quinoa as usual, 1 part grain to 2 parts water or broth
- Cut the ends of the squash, cut in half and remove seeds
- Remove outer skin, then chop into chunks
- Throw the squash into the crockpot
- Add sea salt and spritz a little olive oil or try coconut oil
- Grate the ginger root over the squash
- Add in the onions
- Let it cook!
It truly doesn't take very long, maybe an hour or two and then the squash will soften, let it go until you can smash it up with a fork and turn it into more of a puree. It can be whatever texture you want though.
Once your squash is done, just mix it up with your quinoa. I like to serve it in small individual ramekins. You could top it off with some toasted walnuts. Yum and yum!