Curry Chicken Stir-Fry....to save you from the takeout MSG!
Every once in awhile when Heath and I get the urge for some kind of stir-fry from a takeout place we have to remind our selves of what happens to our guts and faces! Not to worry, there is one very cool place we love and trust although they do NOT deliver....yet....come on Uber Food! He gets bloated and my face literally turns red and rashy and gets H.O.T. It's the MSG, no surprise, very often hidden in dressings and sauces for stir-fry type dishes. So if you see the word SOY SAUCE - yeah skip it. This is what I made last night, it was super easy and I tried warmer spices instead of the usual asian flavors I go with.
First the rice:
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- Himalayan sea salt
- Ginger root
I didn't eat the real rice, not because rice is bad. It just felt too heavy for me with everything else, TIP: if your gut is sluggish, the carbs and protein won't mix super well as protein is the hardest and takes the longest to digest. So I made cauliflower rice in the same skillet after the chicken and veggies cooked.
I used organic white rice, 1 cup of it to 2 cups water, dumped it the sauce pan and turned onto high heat. I also added fresh chopped ginger root and garlic (and sea salt) to infuse it with more flavor. It turned out well.
Once boiling I turned the heat down to a simmer, put the lid on and a timer for 20 minutes and left it alone. THAT is the KEY for rice, quinoa, etc. Don't peak in there! It's doing it's thing! After 20 minutes, I checked on it, fluffed it with a fork, turned the heat off, moved it to a cool burner and let it set 5 more minutes. AND.....done!
For the rest of this, I used one of my bigger, deeper skillets.
- 3 organic chicken breasts
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Ground curry powder
- Ground turmeric
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- Organic broccoli
- Coconut aminos
- Black sesame seed
- Heat skillet to medium heat and add olive oil.
- Once hot, add chicken breasts to pan and season with turmeric, curry and salt, add chopped garlic.
- Let cook (about 10 min) until first side is browned and lifts up easily. (Check to see if you need more oil and either add more to pan and/or spray top side of chicken with it.
- Let this side cook until browned and cooked through
- When chicken is nearly done, add broccoli to pan (I had semi frozen broccoli so I knew that the water would release steam and help everything cook. I added the broccoli, a little more of the curry, turmeric and salt and covered the skillet with a lid.
- After a few more minutes, check your pan and ingredients for doneness.
- Remove chicken to cool and let sit about 10 min. Plate your rice (reg or veggie), chopped up chicken and broccoli.
- Chop up some cashews, top your dish with those and black sesame seeds and drizzle with coconut aminos.
- Voila! Stir-Fry minus the red face and gas :)
me and meat are sort of weird. Sometimes I eat it, sometimes it makes me gag. I just go with my gut. Also, depending on how thick the chicken breasts are it will take less/more time to cook. Totally fine to keep flipping it, or to cut it thinner before cooking for a faster result.
Like this recipe? Have a cool way to make it a little different? Tell me in the comments or let me know what kind of takeout you LOVE but your body HATES! I'll do a recipe redo for you!